Is your home’s electrical system trying to tell you something?

If you smell something burning…..

The faintest scent of burning plastic can be a huge warning sign. If you can’t locate the source of the smell assume electrical wiring may be the culprit and call a licensed electrician.

Older homes often times have many electrical issues…..
Most wires in your home have a protective covering, or insulation, which is designed to protect the wire from arcing when touched. As your home ages wire insulation may become frayed, cut or burned. Electrical wires without completely intact insulation are extremely dangerous and could results in fires or electrical shock. Other hazards include wire splices not enclosed in junction boxes or aluminum wiring which has anodized.  

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends an electrical inspection of your home every 10 to 40 years. Many older homes were built when the electrical demand was not what it is today. Your state-of-the-art appliances and electronic systems may be placing a seriously overloading on your home’s electric system.

If you experience buzzing or charred outlets and switches…..
Outlet and switches should never buzz, and their face or cover plate should never be hot to the touch. If either example is present in your home it is a clear warning sign. These signs often indicate a faulty device, loose wiring or arching between the wire conductors and the device, box or cover plate.Charred devices should be inspected immediately.  It’s normal for dimmer switches and their cover plates to be warm, but they should not be hot.

If you experience frequent breaker trips…..
It’s perfectly normal to go years without having to reset a tripped breaker or replace a blown fuse. If you have a circuit that trips often, there’s a good chance it’s overloaded, or there could be a short or fault somewhere in the circuit or on any devices connected to the circuit.

If you experience dimming or flickering lights…..
Dimming and/or flickering lights is another common example of circuit overload or problem wiring. Flickering lights can result from a damaged fixture wire, a problem with the switch or a fault somewhere on the circuit. In older homes with 60-amp service panels (breaker boxes), underpowered fixtures and appliances may indicate that the electrical system is being overtaxed and should be upgraded.

What should you do if you observe any of the above conditions?
Do not touch exposed wires or observed problem(s).
If possible de-energize the wire by turning off power at the switch, circuit breaker or fuse.
Call Branham Electric to schedule an electrical inspection of your home today! Mention this blog and receive a 10% discount.


You may also like

Avenue 64

Avenue 64